Friday, January 13, 2006

"Welcome to Wal Mart"

Finally, yesterday I received my first buyer client call of the New Year. I was beginning to think my phone was never going to ring again. Traditionally, buyer calls are slow during the holidays but this year it was completely quiet. It was beginning to concern me. I had to call myself several times between Thanksgiving and New Year just to make sure that my phone was still connected. Commission sales are feast or feathers but yesterday Susie called. She saved me a trip to Wall Mart where I was going to apply for a job as a “Greeter”……”Welcome to Wal Mart”.
I had only met Suzie once at an art and wine event a few years back in Placerville. She was there with a past client who introduced us. Suzie said that she wanted to buy a home in El Dorado County but needed to work through some issues first and would call me when she was ready. Yesterday and three years later I got the call.
Being single woman and self-employed isn’t the problem today as it was 5 years ago. Twenty years ago it would have been nearly impossible for a single woman to qualify for a loan. Today single women have become the fastest growing segment of the housing market, accounting for 18 percent of all homebuyers according to the National Association of Realtors Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers. This places women next to married couples as the largest demographic group of buyers. A single woman, in fact, is more likely to purchase a home than a single man (56% vs. 47%). Single women purchased approximately one out of every five homes in 2004 compared with more than one out of ten homes purchased by men. Current statistics show 15.5 million women in the US living alone, compared to only 11.8 million men. So what’s up with that?
More women today have sufficient incomes to enter the housing market. Continued high divorce rates, delayed marriages and longer life expectancies have contributed to the increased number of women headed households. According to the Fannie Mae organization, it's a trend that will continue. Fannie Mae predicts that by 2010, women headed households will increase to nearly 31 million—close to 28% of all households in the country. A nationwide survey conducted by Sears, Roebuck and Co. showed that married households are declining. In the 1950s, married couples occupied nearly 80 percent of all households. Today the number of married couple households has slipped to 50.7. Things change.
Now that I know that my phone works, if you know of someone single or married who would like to buy a home please forward this e-mail along to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home